The National Sleep Foundation says “a dark bedroom promotes better sleep” and recommends light-blocking curtains or a sleep mask to achieve this. Depending on the cause of your insomnia, one of the easiest and most effective ways to achieve darkness when you want to sleep is with a sleep mask.
In this article, we will look at the advantages and disadvantages of sleep masks and how to go about finding the perfect one.
What is a sleep mask and what are its benefits?
The eye mask for dry eyes is worn around the head and above the eyes to block out light and give a good, quality sleep, which is very important for our health. According to research from the National Sleep Institute, using a sleep mask and earplugs can help reduce the time it takes to fall asleep. The researchers also found that the subjects had higher levels of circulating melatonin in their blood and therefore woke up less often than those who did not wear masks or earplugs.
Benefits of Sleeping with Masks
- Fast Process of Falling Asleep.
Putting a dry eye mask on your face gently presses on your eyes, thereby sending a signal to your brain that it’s time to sleep. The body is not disturbed by light, the screen of computers and smartphones, so it calms down and begins to fall asleep.
- Productive Rest.
As already mentioned, the mask helps to create darkness, even if it is early morning or afternoon outside. In such an environment, the brain rests, the body completely relaxes, and hormonal balance is restored. An important and necessary hormone like melatonin – better known as sleep hormone – is produced in complete darkness.
It is extremely important because it adjusts human biorhythms, starts the process of cell rejuvenation, and contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system.
- Stylish Accessory.
Many girls strive to be like their favorite actresses or singers. They are ready to do everything to at least somewhat resemble their idol. The heated eye mask for dry eyes made it possible for young ladies to get closer to the talented Audrey Hepburn. Putting on a stylish accessory, the girls imagined themselves to be real Hollywood stars and fell asleep happy. Such uncomplicated auto-training helps to become more confident and more successful.
What are the disadvantages of a sleep mask?
You may need a few days to get used to it, even the most comfortable mask in the world is still an object around your head, this is a strange feeling.
The body’s natural “awakening” hormone is cortisol and is released in the morning when light hits the back of the eye. If the light cannot reach the eyes, you will not get this natural awakening and it will be difficult to wake up and move in the morning.
When looking to shop dry eye masks, consider the following questions:
It should be comfortable and comfortable, but not too tight – if you take it off and your skin
over the eyebrows tingling, it was too tight. Therefore, the belt must be adjustable!
- The fabric should be soft and comfortable, dark and washable. Fleece, microfiber or soft wool is ideal.
- The mask should not press on the eyes.
- The design of the sleep mask should allow you to open your eyes while wearing it and should not touch your eyelashes as some people dislike the feeling.
- Look for a sleep band that is functional and not one that only looks beautiful!
- It should cover the area around the eyes and down the bridge of the nose, without squeezing or blocking the nose.
- It should be comfortable for your face.
So will a sleep mask help you sleep better?
Yes, if you:
- You live in a city and the street lighting makes you wake up or there is a sleeping clock or other LED displays that light up your room.
- Want to try an alternative to curtains.
- Work at night and in the daytime the light makes you wake up when you want to sleep.
- Travel and want to sleep either on the way or to reduce flight delays.
- Expect to get used to the mask in one to two days.
Not if you:
- There are other causes of insomnia, although a dry eye mask is inexpensive to try.
- You cannot get used to the feeling of a mask on your face at night.
- You already have a fully insulated bedroom.