People get frustrated when issues start developing in the garden you have created. These issues include the sod grass turning brown, improper growth, and pests, and attack of pests and insects. The rest of the problems don’t reoccur more often, but pests and insects can attack the beautiful Emerald Zoysia time and again.
Pests Might Ruin Emerald Zoysia
Before jumping to the taking care point, it is essential to know which insects can attack this specific sod grass. The blades of the grass as the most attractive part of the sod for pests and insects. Botanists are of the view that leaves contain the most nutrients, so they love to eat them.
Japanese Beetle or Grub Worm
There are several causes for sod grass to turn brown. One of the reasons is the Japanese Beetle or also known as Gurb Worm, eating the roots. They lay their eggs in the roots in the month of summer, so look for them there.
The appearance of Spittlebugs is just like beetles because they have red stripes on a black background. How can you detect whether spittlebugs have attacked the sod grass? When you notice white-colored foam on the leaves; then this is a strong indication of the presence of spittlebug, also known as froghopper.
Armyworms have a very close resemblance to caterpillars, and many people do mistake them for the latter. When birds start visiting your lawn, then this can mean that the sod grass has armyworms. These insects are another reason for having brown patches on the grass that you ordered from sod suppliers in Atlanta.
Mole crickets are mysterious insects because they are a mixture of a beetle and scorpion. But the main reason why they are given this name is that they dig holes in the ground, just like moles, and lay their eggs there.
According to biology experts, these scale insects are difficult to get rid of because they grow under a covering made of wax. This is a reason that pesticides do not affect them, so they have to be suffocated.
Sometimes it seems that whiteflies are not there on the leaves and stems of grass because they are found on the underside of the leaves. They excrete a dandruff-like substance that is an indication that whiteflies have attacked the sod grass.
Taking Care of the Sod Grass
The best way to take care of the sod grass is to hire sod dealers like Atlanta Sod Farms to examine the lawn for the presence of insects and solve them. Another task that they have is to suggest how to take care of the sod.
- Applying water before installing the sod grass is vital. Some people forget to use water when they are preparing the soil. The water loses the earth revealing any pests or insects that might be lingering beneath.
- Fertilizer has to be applied either at the time of sod grass installation or once a year afterward. But don’t make the mistake of using fertilizer other than these timings because it will damage the grass and attract pests.
- Many people are confused about how insects develop despite their regular maintenance. Neglecting the sod grass and not checking up on it is one of the main reasons for pests attacking the grass.
- The sod grass should be allowed to grow to the recommended height after installation. Cutting the sod grass immediately after installation can develop problems for the grass.
- Another essential thing to note is to follow the schedule recommended by the Emerald Zoysia suppliers. Deviating from the pattern can cause issues, as mentioned at the beginning of the article.
You should have understood by now the pests and insects that might attack the sod grass and the precautions and care to take for it. Below are some questions that will explain problems with the sod grass.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is killing my zoysia grass?
Several things might be the reason for the killing of your zoysia and especially Emerald Zoysia. The first one is the presence of insects and pests. Then over or under watering, applying fertilizer more than the time recommended, and either cutting the grass too short or leaving it higher.
Can you overwater zoysia grass?
In answer to the above question, it has been mentioned that over-watering will lead to the killing of the sod grass. So, if there is a prediction of rain, then avoid watering. Only water the grass at the recommended time and quantity.
How do I bring zoysia grass back to life?
There are different stages of reviving Zoysia grass, depending on the condition. If the situation is worse, then you have to cut that patch and reinstall it. But watering regularly can also improve the situation.