Are you fed up of the Netgear extender red light issue? Are you looking for a permanent solution to fix this issue? If your answer is yes, then this article is for you. Here, we will reveal the reasons for the red light issue with your extender as well as the tactics to fix it.
Reasons Behind Netgear Extender Red Light Issue
The Netgear extender’s red light issue impacts the performance of your device resulting in a poor WiFi connection. Not only that, but it also impacts the efficiency of your extender and degrades the performance of the devices connected to it. The reasons behind your Netgear extender showing red light are mentioned below:
- Improper placement of your Netgear extender
- The WiFi signals of the Netgear extender are affected by the radio interference coming from metal objects, reflexive surfaces, and electronic gadgets resulting in the red light issue.
- If your extender has too many devices connected to it, chances are that it might get disconnected from the router. Due to this, the LED on your Netgear extender will blink red.
- Another reason behind the red light on your Netgear extender is partial or incomplete setup.
- Your Netgear extender might be running an obsolete version of its firmware. This can also be one of the reasons behind the red light blinking on your Netgear extender.
- Any issue from your Internet Service Provider side will also lead you to the red light issue with your Netgear extender.
Fixed: Red Light Issue with Your Netgear Extender
Basic Troubleshooting Tips
- Change the location of your Netgear extender. Place your extender in a ventilated area for its better performance.
- Place your Netgear extender away from metal objects, mirrors, fish tanks, and electronic gadgets.
- Check whether the wall socket to which your extender is connected is working or not. Also, make sure that the extender is getting enough power supply.
- Power cycle your Netgear extender. For this, unplug it from wall socket. Wait for a few minutes and plug it back again.
- Perform Netgear firmware update by accessing mywifiext.net.
Advanced Troubleshooting Tips
If the aforementioned tips failed to work for you, then head towards the advanced troubleshooting tips mentioned below:
- Check the Settings of Your Netgear Extender
The settings of your extender like Netgear_ext (SSID) and bandwidths should be compatible with the router, as well as the WiFi devices you are using. Thus, perform the following steps to change the settings of your Netgear extender:
- Plug your Netgear extender into a working wall socket and switch on the Power button.
- Now, turn on your PC or laptop.
- Open an internet browser and perform Netgear login by accessing www.mywifiext.net.
- Once you are logged in, go to the WiFi settings section and check whether SSID, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz options are enabled.
Enable FastLane Technology on Your Netgear Extender
The red light issue greatly affects the performance of your Netgear extender. Thus, to improve the performance of your Netgear extender, enable FastLane Technology on it. Follow the steps given below to enable FastLane Technology on your Netgear extender:
- To begin with, Power cycle your Netgear extender and the router.
- Turn on your PC or laptop and launch an internet browser of your choice.
- Access the Netgear extender login page by typing www.mywifiext.net in the address bar of your internet browser.
- Fill in the default login credentials and click on the Log In button.
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will display.
- Go to the Advanced Panel section.
- Click on the Operating Mode.
- FastLane Technology page appears.
- Click on the FastLane Technology option.
- Select the bandwidth you want to assign to “device-to-extender” and “extender-to-router”.
- Click Apply to save the settings.
- Once you save the settings, you will be disconnected from the extender. Connect to your extender again to enjoy a fast internet.
- Reset and Reconfigure Your Extender
If none of the above-mentioned troubleshooting tactics manage to resolve the issue, don’t worry! You can still fix the red light issue with your Netgear extender. For this, locate the Reset button on your extender and press it with a pin-like object. Once done, let the LED lights on it become stable. Your extender will reset and you have to perform Netgear extender setup from scratch. So, take out your phone. Install the Netgear Nighthawk app on it and set up your Netgear extender.
The red light issue on your Netgear extender is not a big one. Go through the above guidelines, and you will surely succeed in resolving the issue. But if all of the troubleshooting tactics fail, chances are that your extender is damaged. Thus, replace it with a new Netgear extender to enjoy a seamless internet.