Opening your Mac and finding that the data you are trying to access shows “read-only”. If you are a Mac user, you can relate to this situation. Mac follows theAPFS file system, whereas Windows has NTFS file system. Both the operating systems support different file formats. So, when a Windows user shares a file or data (NTFS formatted) with a Mac user, the Mac user is restricted to read-only. The most effective way to access the data completely isusing NTFS for Mac software. NTFS for Mac software allows the user to read and write the NTFS-formatted data with ease.
Apart from the cross-platform incompatibility, there are other causes of read-only on Mac, check it out!
Causes for Drives’ “Read-Only” On Mac
Before we can talk about how to fix “read-only” drives on Mac, we need to understand the problem that causes this issue. Here are a few major reasons that inflate hard drives with “read-only” errors.
- Formatting Errors: There are times when you make mistakes and limit the file to read-only at the time of formatting.
- NTFS File System: Some drives might be formatted by the NTFS file system. If that’s the case, your Mac on how to add music to instagram story, will be limited to initiate “read-only” action.
- Access Permission: There are times when the data is authorized for selective users. In that case, if another person tries to open it, it restricts them to “read only”.
How to Fix “Read-Only” On Mac?
Hard drives are the best solution to storing data. Some of this data is backed up, while some are restricted to only authorized users. Given below are a few methods that you can use to fix “read-only” files and folders.
Method 1: Changing Permission
Permission can be set on any file, folder, or the whole hard drive. It is a common security practice followed by professionals all around the world.
Access permission is the major reason why most of the files are marked as “Read-Only”. Whenever a professional share a file or folder with an individual, they set permission to the user’s ID. Hence, the data can be accessed only by the authorized person.
If you are trying to access data and find that it is marked “Read-Only”, the steps below might help you format it for “Read-Write”.
- Connect the drive on ivms 4500 for pc.
- Go to info.
- Click on the padlock.
- Enter your administrator password.
- Go to sharing & permission.
- Select “Read-Write” permission.
Method 2: Ignore Access Permission on Finder
Another way to access data with read-only permission is to ignore all the permissions. This method is only effective if you are aware that this issue is only caused by the permission settings.
Mistakes do happen, and files are set to read-only. In this method, you simply need to ignore all the persimmon.
- Connect the drive.
- Click “Get info”.
- Go to “Share & Persimmon”
- Select “ignore ownership of this file”.
Method 3: Fixing Using Terminal
This method is quite more complicated than the above two methods. It requires knowledge of the Command-Line interface. The command-line terminal provides users with the full customization of the setting.
- Click go at the upper right corner.
- Now, Application > Utilities > Terminal.
- Type “sudonano /etc/fstab”.
- Give your administrator password.
- Save the file.
- Finally, eject the drive.
Method 4: Repair Using Disk Utility
Another great solution for read-only issues is to use Disk Utility and try to repair the problem. This method can help you reformat your drive according to the current file system and ensures that you get to easily access the file.
- Navigate to Applications.
- Go to Utilities.
- Select the drive.
- Click first aid in the top centre.
- Click RUN.
Method 5: UseiBoysoftNTFS for Mac Software
NTFS for Mac software is a tool that offers convenience while accessing data shared from Windows to Mac operating system.As one of the best free NTFS forMac applications, iBoysoft NTFS forMac software grants full read-write access to your external NTFS-formatted drives with 100% secure and handy operations. With iBoysoft NTFS forMac, your NTFS driveswill be automatically mounted into read-write mode. Users can easily fulfill edit, rename, tag, AirDrop, modify the files with no bother.
These methods are more than capable of fixing your problem. However, these methods are followed by cumbersome processes. If you are more of a simple process lover, then NTFS for Macsoftware is the only thing you need.