Nowadays, most QuickBooks users face problems related to QuickBooks payroll being unable to update. These issues occur with QuickBooks error code 15106. This error affects the update functions and if a user tries to update QuickBooks or payroll then they receive an error message like “Error 15106: The update program is damaged, or Error 15106: the update program cannot be opened.” Further in this article, we discussed the causes and methods to resolve the QuickBooks Error 15106 in detail.
QuickBooks payroll updates error arises due to the lack of administrative rights and the firewall restrictions on QuickBooks Update services. Quickbooks Error 15106 appears during updates like the Window Installer helps to install and uninstall programs and its window operating system updates, and if the installer got damaged or corrupted applications then it starts to appear the error. An Error message you will receive like “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or read-only file.”
Causes of QuickBooks Error 15106
- QuickBooks installation is unable to install an additional component which is required to update the application and payroll later.
- When you install the Webroot antivirus application which helps to detect QuickBooks installer as a threat and block it.
- When the user account doesn’t have window administrative rights.
- When the window User Account Control Setting is set to high, which disturbs QuickBooks updates.
- When a third-party antivirus program will block the QuickBooks update process.
Methods to resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
There are some methods that help you to resolve all the issues related to the QuickBooks Error Code 15106. You can also resolve other errors like the Quickbooks h202 with the help of these methods error make sure to follow all the steps correctly to fix this error and if one method didn’t solve the error then follow other methods:-
Method 1- Login as an Administrator account
- Firstly, click on the start/window button and then go to the control panel.
- Press Window+R keys together and then type the control panel in the Run window.
- Choose the User Account and Family Safety and then User Accounts.
- After that, tap on the Manage another account and then enter the password of the admin.
Method 2- QuickBooks Update Reset
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and click on the Help option and then tap on the Update QuickBooks.
- Now select the Options tab and choose the mark all options.
- Click on the Save button then go to the Update Now tab.
- Then, checkmark on Reset Update now and then click on Get Updates.
- If the error still appears on your screen then follow the next steps.
Method 3- QuickBooks Desktop Installation Repair
- Firstly, press Window+R together and type the command “appwiz.cpl” then tap on entering.
- Under the Uninstall or Change a Program the list of installed programs scroll the window down and click on QuickBooks.
- Now, select the Change/Remove and then click on Next.
- Ensure that the Repair option is selected.
- Now, when you click on Repair then it starts repairing QuickBooks installation for resolving QuickBooks Error 15106.
- If you may get an error message from File in Use then click on the Ignore.
- Now, reboot your system and open the QuickBooks app.
- When you get the QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update then click on Install Now.
You may also read – H
Method 4- Remove WebRoot Spyware
- Go to the start button on your Windows desktop and click on Control Panel.
- Select the Add/Remove Programs.
- Then Double-click on WebRoot and select the Uninstall option.
- When you click on Uninstall then some instructions will appear on the screen then follow all the instructions to remove the applications.
- Reboot your computer and install QuickBooks updates again.
- If your error will be fixed then you can reinstall it after the update.
Method 5- Rename QuickBooks Update and Antivirus Disabling
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc together to open Window Task Manager.
- Then, right-click on the antivirus service.
- Choose the End Task option and then tap on Yes.
- Go to the QuickBooks installation folder by using the WIndow File Explorer.
- QuickBooks gets installed at a folder like C:\ProgeamFiles\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- Click on the folder name downloadqb20 or downloadqb19 and rename it.
- You can add OLD at the end of the folder name.
- At last, try to update QuickBooks again.
Method 6- Disable UAC(User Account Control) from Window Setting
- For window 10 users, you can directly search for UAC from Cortana search.
- For others, first, go to the start button and select the Control Panel.
- From the search bar type User Account Control (UAC).
- Go to the User Account Control setting and move the slide always notify to never notify.
- At last, save all the changes by clicking on the Save option.
In this article, we discuss fixing the QuickBooks Error 15106 and I hope this article will be helpful for you to resolve this issue. If you are facing some other issues then visit our other articles also.